Monday, December 21, 2009

Slow and Steady

I've been searching for a topic to write about and I think I've found it, but I don't think I'll do it proper justice.

Habit building

What sort of person am I becoming with my small everyday actions?

Things like exercise and Bible study don't get as much time as they should yet somehow Facebook becomes a top priority.

Gee, I wonder how that happens? I mean, its not like people waist valuable time on Facebook.
The point is I want my time to be filled with things which reflect my values and interests. Interests doesn't equal video games. By interests I mean things like writing this blog or practicing the guitar (something I'm still getting around to).


Do I always succeed? No obviously.

What if I tried? What if I worked out on a daily basis for the next six months? Or what if I read the entire Bible this coming semester? Would my small changes add up?
Exercise would have tangible results relatively quickly. I guess what I'm really asking is, what am I truly capably of with a bit of hard work and divine guidance?

If you attend church (and even if you don't) the Christmas story gets repeated ad nausum this time of year. I don't mean to sound disrespectful but if I'm honest it does get old.
Anyway, if you didn't already know this, Mary was teenager, and I don't mean 18 or 19 I mean 14 or 15. Before you say "dude that is messed up" let me explain. Getting married at 15 was very common 2000 years ago, in fact its been common for most of history.
I digress. My point in all of this, Mary was a teen who did amazing things, why can't I? Why can't you?

Now I can't have a baby, but I can write. I can't write very well, but I can practise in my spare time, and that is where free time becomes a productive habit building oppurtunity


So what talent has God placed in your life? How can we all find better ways to spend our time?

Time is our most precious resource and we'll never get it back. You don't spend it. No, time is poured into things as water is poured into a vase. It goes into people, movies, reading, sports Facebook and all the other things we do.

It boils down to this: What do you (and I) want to pour time into?

No comments:

Post a Comment