Saturday, January 2, 2010

Back to Blogging Pt. 1

My blogging career has been on hiatus for the past couple of weeks, due to a "vacation."

After Christmas my family and I packed up and headed down to Texas. Why to Texas you ask?

Back story:
In seventh grade I developed a friendship with a loudmouth military brat. Since then we've been close friends. However, in 2008 his father's job called them away to Texas.
So for the past year and a half I've had to live without him. Until now....

The drive down took over 20 hours, it probably qualifies as one of the top five most tedious experiences of my life. But it was all worth it.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when we got there, but here is what happened.
We got out of the car, walked up the front door and rung the bell. The reunion was quick, mildly awkward and nothing like a TV show. That said, I was shaking like a leaf.
Simply because it wasn't a Kodak moment doesn't mean it wasn't awesome. For the past week I've been enjoying his company.

Of course he doesn't live by himself. Bob (that's what we'll call him) lives with his parents, sister and there loving dog Lucy.

Here are some of the highlights of my trip:

Bob's truck: Wow. Man it's big! His truck is a Chevy 2500 with off-roading tires and four-wheel drive. Put briefly its a BIG Truck. Perfect for dear hunting in Texas. Unfortunately it's ugly as all get out on the inside, but the enormous subwoofer makes up for that.

My Birthday: On the 30th of December I turned 16. I don't think I could have dreamed up a more perfect scenario. We all drove into San Antonio to see the Alamo. Besides enjoying the history we also saw NC congresswoman Virginia Foxx touring with her grandchildren. Actually it was my dad who spotted her.

Anyway. After we finished there, we all went down to the "River Walk" for some Birthday BBQ. Now in Texas when someone says BBQ they mean beef ribs slathered in sauce. For the record, I love Texas BBQ.

We ate at a place called "County Line." It was delicious. The waiter stuck us in the very back of the restaurant which meant we had a beautiful view of the "River Walk" and where next to all the brewsky. In fact my friend's mom was actually surrounded by the stuff, it was very humorous.


Anyway, I proceeded to let my inner caveman emerge free for the next 30 minutes as I stripped the ribs of all their savory meat.

Once this exercise in tribalism was completed, we promptly proceeded (did you notice the alliteration) to Starbucks where I got my coffee fix satisfied.
Yes I said coffee. I'm not addicted, I just love the stuff, I mean genuinely love it.

From There Bob and I hung out by ourselves at a bookstore before going to see "The Blindside." It turned out to be a really good movie, in fact I might do I review sometime soon.

To rap up the day we came home and savored chocolate chip cookies and ice cream. To top it all off I found out from my parents that I will be getting my Licence! WOOHOO.
All in all it was a perfect Birthday.


I'll post more later, but for now I'll let this be it.

Thanks for reading (assuming anyone did)

Levi

No comments:

Post a Comment